I want to share with you a really great guide to troubleshoot hardware inventory if you’re having problems with a particular machine. It’s from the guys at ‘the Sysadmin Channel’.
The checklist at the end of this article includes bullet points for you to follow :-
- Download CMTrace to view the logs.
- Check if the BITS service is running and on automatic startup.
- On client PC, open InventoryAgent.log to see if reports were sent to MP.
- On client PC, open CcmMessaging.log to see if payload was successful.
- On MP Server, open MP_Hinv.log to see if MP send the .MIF to the Site Server.
- On Site Server, open dataldr.log to see if the transaction completed successfully.
- On SCCM Console, open SMS_INVENTORY_DATA_LOADER for more details on client PC.
- Trigger a manual hardware inventory cycle and go through inventory flow.
- Wait for SCCM go to through backlogs.